We’re just another day away from welcoming in a new year! Everyone, here at Aurora Medical Laser & Vein Centre wishes you a very happy new year that is defined by a very healthy and prosperous 2015. But, we know that “healthy” isn’t always the word of choice to describe how most people welcome in each new year. Parties complete with alcoholic drinks, sweets and salty snacks are the norm. So how can you start off your 2015 in a healthy way?
Well, firstly you can throw your own New Year’s party. That way, you’ll be in control of the food. And, just in case you think you’ll automatically be disappointing your guests if you provide them with healthy options – think again. You can offer your friends and loved ones treats that are as delicious as they are good for you. Let’s ring in the new year the right way! Here are six healthy New Year’s party recipes.
1. Crispy Pita Chips Topped With Aubergine, Pomegranate & Mint. MucciFarms.com offers this tasty snack, calling it the “perfect last-minute appetizer.” The ingredients calls for mini eggplants, a crushed garlic clove, finely chopped red chillis, lemon juice, chopped mint, pomegranate seeds, crumbled feta cheese, pita breads, sea salt and ground cumin. Now that your mouth is watering, check the website for the easy recipe!
2. Mini Greek Pizza Muffins. Combining pizza with muffins may sound both odd and interestingly delicious at the same time. But as EatingWell.com explains, these savoury bite-size treats are loved by just about everyone who has tried them. In fact, one reader, named Lindsay, reports that she get requests for the recipe all the time. Only 39 calories per muffin, these snacks are bound to be a hit. Check out the recipe on the website.
3. Stuffed Mushrooms. We’ve all heard of these before. But BestHealthMag.ca offers an original recipe that is as nutritious as it is flavourful. “These mushrooms are filled with a delicious mixture of finely chopped zucchini, spinach and hazelnuts, then topped with grated Parmesan cheese and baked for delicious, hard-to-resist party bites,” reads the site, “They look their best if the mushrooms are all about the same size.”
4. Cheese & Red Pepper Cake. MucciFarms.com insists that this treat will work as a great surprise for your guests. Both delicious and savoury, this cake is not a dessert, but an amazingly tasty way to healthfully snack at your New Year’s party. To make two small cake tins, you’ll need the usual suspects including margarine, flour, baking powder, eggs and milk – but aged Myzithra cheese and sweet long peppers are the special ingredients!
5. Pear-Ginger Shooters. As you can imagine, your guests will also be in the mood for drinking at your New Year’s party. EatingWell.com suggests that you serve these shooters made with pears, fresh ginger, white wine, apple cider, lemon juice, honey and fragrant cinnamon to tantalize their taste buds and satisfy their needs to sip on alcoholic beverages. Only 67 calories per serving, these chilled shots also contain no fat or cholesterol.
6. Sushi Pockets. “While many people love sushi, the idea of bringing their own to work for lunch may seem overwhelming,” writes Paul Finkelstein on BestHealthMag.ca, “This recipe allows everyone to be the master of their own sushi domain. It’s great on its own, or you can add seafood, fish, meat or tofu. The citrus juice will help keep the mixture fresh and the colours vibrant.” Check out the site for the recipe.
Healthy New Year!