Skin protection is a common topic of discussion during the warmer months of the year. Although the sun comes out all year round, we tend to think that our skin needs extra protection just because it can get hot outside during the summer. Let it be known that as long as there is a sun in the sky, there is a reason to protect our skin. And those that are mindful of the ways to protect their skin stand the best chance of warding off the signs of aging.
It is true that, with the passing of time, wrinkles and fine lines become inevitable. However, there are a number of ways that we can work to minimize them. As mentioned, sun exposure is a major factor in the wrinkling of our skin. Therefore, avoiding getting too much sun and wearing sunscreen when you are in the sun are two key methods of maintaining a youthful look. But there is more you can do to help keep the signs of aging at bay.
Here are six ways to ward off wrinkles and fine lines:
1. Drink that water! It may sound a bit strange, but think of your skin like a plant. Without water, it will dry up! Maintaining a healthy diet than incorporates constant hydration is a great way to keep your skin looking smooth and wrinkle-free. “Drink plenty of water to keep your skin cells hydrated and cleansed,” advises Tony Isaacs of NaturalNews.com, “Good, pure water helps keep our cells hydrated and cleansed to avoid health robbing toxic buildup.”
2. Eat nutritiously. Speaking of maintaining a healthy diet, it’s important to treat your body to generous servings of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. According to Linda Foster of The Huffington Post, an “anti-aging diet” not only includes a lot of water, fruits and veggies but fish as well. “Eat fresh caught Atlantic salmon three times a week or another fish high in omega 3 fatty acids, such as herring, mackerel, trout, or tuna,” she recommends.
3. Spread bananas on your face. Okay, if you’ve let out a bit of laugh reading this tip, then you’re not alone. As funny as it sounds, it’s a legitimate recommendation from Isaacs, who believes in natural remedies. “Bananas are wonderful as an anti-wrinkle treatment,” he informs us, “Mash 1/4 banana until very creamy in consistency. Spread all over face and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water followed by a dash of cold. Gently pat dry.”
4. Quit smoking. If tip #3 sounds a bit too strange for you, here is one that is just about impossible to argue. Cigarettes have literally no value when it comes to health. And that includes skin care. “Smoking takes away oxygen and nutrients, and it also increases the number of free radicals in your body’s cells, a main cause of skin aging,” writes Foster. If you’re a smoker, your chances of getting wrinkles significantly increase. And oh yeah, there’s that cancer thing too.
5. Don’t stress. It’s probably a lot easier said than done. But the more you stress yourself out, the higher your chances are of developing the signs of aging. It’s not just the look of worry and frowning that can invite fine lines to remain on your face. There’s a biological reason that stress leads to wrinkles. “When you’re stressed out, your body releases a powerful aging hormone, cortisol, into your blood stream,” says Foster.
6. Get Botox injections. Botox treatments are actually among the most common cosmetic procedures in North America! Millions of people have smoothed away their unwanted facial lines with this proven and safe treatment. Aurora Medical Laser & Vein Centre proudly offers Botox treatments to those who are looking to battle the signs of aging. For more information, please don’t hesitate to call us at 403-358-5818.